Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Fastest Way to Spread Christmas Cheer is Singing Loud for All to Hear

Thanksgiving in Israel was a success! Me and 17 of my friends got together and had such a great time. We had Turkey and stuffing, cornbread dressing, pumpkin pies, a pecan pie, and tons of other delicious food (but we couldn't for the life of us find cranberry sauce!). It really felt like we were celebrating in the States, which helped fight off the homesickness for all of us for sure. 

One holiday down, one to go.

Now on to Christmas. I am really excited about spending Christmas here because we are going to Bethlehem on Christmas Eve and Nazareth on Christmas Day. What better way to celebrate, right? And I'm happy to report that I have found a Christmas tree! It's about a foot tall and I bought decorations and a star for it and everything. It took me about 2 minutes to decorate :)

I'm also thinking of having all of my girlfriends over one weekend so we can make Christmas cookies. It's funny because when you're taken out of what you're used to, any little reminder of the familiar is really so special. The pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving, the mini Christmas tree I found, the smell of Christmas cookies... these things mean so much more when they aren't as readily available.

And I already know that next Christmas I'll probably be nostalgic for Israel. Even now I find myself missing this place and I have nine months left. Funny how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment