Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pre-Adventure Thoughts

A strange peace.

That's the only way to describe what I'm feeling right now. Yes, I know that I am moving to one of the most volatile regions in the world. And yes, I understand that I will be far away from my family, my friends, and everything that is familiar to me for a long period of time. And yet, even in spite of these things, I still feel sure that this is exactly what God wants me to do. So I have peace. A strange peace.

This is peace that comes from faith, I suppose: not knowing exactly why God wants you to do something but doing it anyway, confident that the outcome will be far greater than anything you could have come up with on your own.

As we all know, having peace about something doesn't mean that it's easy and goes off without a hitch. I am fully aware that many breakdowns are ahead of me. There will definitely be moments I'll feel completely overwhelmed about the sudden change in culture, language, and routine. But moments of this kind are sure to pass. Abraham took his family and journeyed to a city whose builder and maker was God (at least I know where I'm going!), and I'm sure he had moments of doubt, confusion, and fear. But Abraham never turned back; he obediently followed God's direction. And look how God blessed him.

If Abraham can do it, so can I.

I have four days until I leave, days that will undoubtedly be filled with packing and time spent with family and friends. I probably won't have a chance to write again until I am in Tel Aviv, which is crazy to think about.

So until then, I'll just be still and know that He is God.

11 comments:

  1. Emily,
    So proud of you. May God be with you in your travels and your studies. What a great experience this will be for you. You will be missed by your family and friends but just think about the knowledge that you will bring home to them.
    We will keep you in our prayers and thoughts and please be safe. Send Pictures - you know I'll never get there!! Love Uncle Vinny & Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - This is so awesome & exciting! A group from my church is in Tel Aviv right now evangelizing! Im so proud of you & Im confident God will use you in amazing ways. God Bless.
    SarahJane Madole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! I am super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you made me cry, Em! I realized a long, long time ago that I am not the Keeper of my children, God is. And considering He has done very well so far :), I have no doubt that He will continue to keep you--even in a volatile region of the world. I'll probably have a few breakdowns of my own, but I am beside myself grateful that you understand that life is about Him---even when it makes you take a leap of faith! iloveyoumom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way as you did when I left for my first tour to Iraq, and then my second tour here in Afghanistan. Ive gone through this alone and away from all Ive ever known. It is hard to face the unknown; what will happen, changes that occur and new people you meet. In one way you are unsure but in another excited for whats ahead. Take one day at a time, God is always with you and your friends and family are always there even when they are far away. Ive learned that seperation from my normal lifestyle, friendships, relationships and family has opened a new perspective to life and has matured me in a way that is different from my peers. This next year is going to change you, stay strong, be used by God and have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Emily! God bless you richly as you follow His path well-lit by His Word! You can count on our support in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stoked for you! enjoy this journey! we will pray for your safety as you make it! - matt fine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking blog, Emily. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's one thing to say, "Send me, Lord!"-- and it's another thing to actually obey when He says, "Go." You'll never regret stepping out in obedience and saying yes to this adventure. XO
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so brave Em (just remember to run for the hills if someone stands in the Temple proclaiming to be God haha)
    Perhaps you will meet a nice Jewish lad lol ;)

    God's Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete